Memorial Day is a day of remembrance and honor, dedicated to our fellow citizens who have chosen to serve our country by joining the military.
Yes, it also marks the “unofficial” start of summer and plenty of us will be spending the day at a BBQ, the beach or at a pool. And there’s nothing wrong with commemorating the day in this manner. While you are spending the day with your family and friends, take a few moments to remember those who have served (and those who still are) our country and gave their lives to ensure our freedom.
However, if you’re looking for ways to actively honor and help our our military members (both past and present), here are seven ways that you can do that:
- Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Make a tribute video
- Support or take part in Memorial Day Charity Runs
- Volunteer with Homes for Our Troops
- Contribute or volunteer for the Center for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- Get involved with the Wounded Warrior Project
- Attend the National Memorial Day Parade
Read more on how to get involved at The Huffington Post.