The anticuchos is a very popular and inexpensive dish in Peru. The most known type is made with little pieces of cow heart, marinated the day before and it’s usually served with boiled or baked potatoes, fresh Peruvian corn (Choclo or mote), fresh lettuce (Romaine or Iceberg), Huancaina sauce or other ones.
Ingredients for marinate:
- 2 cloves of garlic, ground
- 1/4 cup of ground aji panca
- 3/4 cup of vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Ingredients for anticuchos:
- 1 cow heart, cleaned and without fat
- Vegetable oil
- Yellow pepper chilli ground
- Bamboo skewers
Sauce for marinate: Mix all the ingredients and set aside.
1. Soak bamboo skewers on cold water.
2. Cut the cow heart in pieces of 2.5 – 3 cm (1 – 1.2 inches).
3. Put them in a bowl and add the sauce.
4. Marinate for 12 hours.
5. Put 3 pieces in each skewer.
6. Heat the grill and put the skewers.
7. Turn and let cook for 3-6 mins each side.
8. Serve 2-3 skewers per person plus a boiled/baked potato, a piece of corn and a sauce of aji if you like it spicy.
Preparation: 30 mins
Serves: 1 cow heart cut into pieces makes 30 individual pieces at 3/ person serves 10.
Difficulty: Intermediate to easy