Summer will officially arrive on June 21, 2010. Although this bipolar weather threatens the normalcy of our hot temperatures during this time of year, it’s safe to say heat will win this match. With such wonderful climate upon us, there is just one tiny problem we seldom acknowledge: Healthy hydration. The saying goes “Beat the heat! Water! Water! Water!”, however, that is a challenge for those of us who have difficulty accepting and swallowing water.
So okay, adults can easily down an ice cold beer-albeit it making you even more dehydrated afterwards, and kids can enjoy a freshly bought box of sugary juice; but why not embrace a healthier thirst-repelling solution? I’m talking about beating the heat with summertime “cocktails” sure to please the masses- young and old…er
· Take a mix of berries- or your favorite fruits, mash them together, add a teaspoon of brown sugar, add ice cold water and enjoy!
· Enjoy flavored lemonade! All you need to do is make lemonade from scratch-no, not the powder types, add mashed berries-or again the fruit of your choice, ice cubes and enjoy!
· If you are blessed with a food processor, buy your favorite fruits, process them and quench your thirst con Aguas refrescantes de Fruta… No sugar needed =D
· Make tasty ice cubes/pops! For example: I love to process and blend strawberries, I add one or two freshly squeezed limes, I fill up my ice tray and freeze. Throughout the week I treat myself and my little siblings to some fruity cubes…. Delish!
· Lastly, like I mentioned before, not all of us are avid water drinkers. I personally find H?O bland and boring. However, I solve that problem by making water more appealing: if you keep a container full of water in the refrigerator, add some slices of fruits; Cucumber, Orange, Melon, pitted Cherries, Blueberries, Honeydew, Grapefruit, and/or Strawberries! (I strongly suggest the Cucumber, Melon, Orange mix… Yummy!)
… Ya sabes, stay hydrated, have an awesome summer y Dale machete a tu Sed a healthier, fruitier way!
by Keyla Cedano