by Eric Jude Cortes
Good news comes in all shapes and sizes. It could be as small as a pat on the back from a coworker mentioning that the boss said something nice about you; or it could be as large as winning the lottery.
Last Sunday, Americans were given one of the greatest possible gifts in recent years: the death of Osama bin Laden. Now, I know what you are going to say: This is not the end of the threats to America, it may lead to more revenge attacks against us, he may not really be dead, blah blah blah. If you feel like the death of Osama bin Laden isn’t a good thing, please turn away because what I propose to you will shock you. Osama bin Laden’s death is a reason to celebrate. Allow me to elaborate using neat bullet points that those who read online seem to prefer so much.
Reasons for Latinos to dance now that bin Laden is dead
- Latinos were killed on 9/11 – Among the first responders, workers, and passengers killed in the terrorist attacks were nuestra gente. With their killer in the bottom of the ocean, their loved ones should have some closure.
- President Obama received a boost in the polls – With the successful Navy SEAL raid in Pakistan, Republicans, who are already suffering from a dearth of decent candidates, now have one less issue to run on in 2012. Let’s be honest, most of us are Democrats, so now that our friend Barry’s poll numbers are up, shake that booty.
- Latinos are Americans – Those of us born in the U.S. who claim Latin America as the land of our ancestors are just as American as those who claim Europe, Asia, or Africa as their patria. If other Americans can celebrate the death of a man who made it his life’s mission to kill US, we can too.
If you need help figuring out what songs to dance to now that bin Laden is dead, this list may help.
- Ven Bailalo by Angel & Kris – This is one of the first songs to come to my mind when I think of dancing randomly.
- Let’s Get Loud by Jennifer Lopez – J. Lo is from New York, which was attacked by the madman, and this is her only good song. Therefore it is your patriotic duty to dance to this song.
- Shake Your Bon Bon by Ricky Martin – When the time is nigh for celebratory dancing, who better to show us the way than Ricky Martin.
With all of the drama our people are experiencing on a regular basis – racism, being made economic scapegoats, self-hating Latino comedians – we should learn to celebrate good news. Osama bin Laden is dead; shake your bon bon.
To learn more about Eric, randomly bump into him on the street and politely ask him some questions.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are solely those
of the author and should not be understood to be shared by Being Latino, Inc.